Though I’m not one to get into New Year’s celebrations, a tradition I hold dear is my favorite albums of the year list. In the past, it has consisted of my top 5 albums, with commentary from me on each of them.
Then last year, I did the same with iOS apps, and it was well received.
This year, I had some difficulty narrowing down to just 5 albums and 5 apps, so I decided to shake up the format. Instead of giving you my gratuitous commentary and spreading things over several posts, I have decided to give you everything in quick lists.
Because there were several songs that I loved this year that I did not necessarily love the album of or they were just released as singles, I also added top songs of the year as a list. The rule when creating it was that none of the songs could be on one of my top albums.
I should clarify that I do not think that all of these song/albums are amazing works of art (though some are). These are simply what I enjoyed most in 2013.
So without further adieu, I give you The Best of 2013:
1. Leagues – You Belong Here
2. John Mayer – Paradise Valley
3. Sandra McCracken – Desire Like Dynamite
4. The Civil Wars – The Civil Wars
5. Haim – Days are Gone
6. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – The Heist*
7. Katy Perry – Prism
8. Ellie Goulding – Halcyon*
9. The Lone Bellow – The Lone Bellow
10. Florida Georgia Line – Here’s to the Good Times*
*Released in 2012, but discovered by me in 2013
1. The Killers – Shot at the Night
2. Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball
3. Justin Timberlake – Mirrors
4. Ivan and Alyosha -Running for Cover
5. Matt Wertz – Get To You
6. Derek Webb – Eye of the Hurricane
7. Ellie Goulding – Burn
8. One Direction – Best Song Ever
9. Ben Rector – Beautiful
10. Andrew Belle – Pieces
1. Tweetbot 3*
4. Reeder 2*
10. Jurassic Park Builder
*Not new in 2013, but released major updates that warranted them being on the list.